We recommend the following professionals based on our observations, personal knowledge and client feedback. We make no claims about their rates, current certification, licensing and insurance. We advise you to get several estimates before selecting a professional for your job.
Please let our staff know about your experience with any of these professionals. Your feedback will help us keep this list up-to-date.
- Tree Care
- Garden Services
- Sidewalk Repairs and Cutting
- Tree Stump Removal and Grinding
- Consulting and Legal Services
- ArborMD, 415-250-2012
A licensed bonded and insured SF based tree care company that provides free estimates and provides arborist reports & consults, tree preservation plans, technical tree removals, expert tree pruning, root pruning, tree plantings, and stump grinding. Certified Arborist, Certified TreeWorker with ISA.
- Bartlett Tree Experts, 415-206-0790
A national company offering scientific tree care, any size tree, including pruning, planting, removal, root pruning and consultations.
- Christopher Campbell Tree Design, 415-239-6100
Services include structural pruning, tree shaping, crown reduction, young tree training, view pruning, risk & hazard reduction, as well as root pruning, stump grinding, planting, and removal if necessary. As a Certified Arborist and ISA Qualified Tree Risk Assessor, Christopher Campbell Tree Design also provides Arborist Reports, Tree Protection Plans and Consultations.
- City Trees, Alex Thomas, Certified Arborist, 415-626-8535
City Trees offers tree pruning for health, beauty, and safety. City Trees specializes in tree planting, restoration, and removal in Alameda, Marin, and San Francisco counties.
- Davey Tree Experts, Nick Crawford, Board Certified Master Arborist, 415-468-9180 x8816
San Francisco. A national company able to care for and manage any size tree including pruning, planting, removal, root pruning and consultations.
- Mr. Prune Tree Service, Christopher Ingram, 415-786-5725
ISA Certified arborist, specializing in aesthetic pruning and all phases of tree care, including planting and structural training of young trees, fruit tree pruning and rehabilitation of abused or neglected trees. Special interest in pruning of Japanese maples and black pines. Consultation services as well.
- Tree Shapers, Ted Kipping, 415-239-2420
Pruning all size trees, planting, removal, consultations
- Trees Company, Christopher Altman, 415-786-0464
ISA Certified and BA in Visual Art from Bowdoin College. Any size trees. Fine pruning to create layers, increase light and enhance views. Skilled at natural flow pruning, restoration, and shaping. Also available for planting, removals, and landscaping. Reduced rates for fixed-income households and community groups.
- Biosafe Yard and Garden Service, Vernon Pineau, 415-831-1699
Organic and sustainable gardening, believes in wasting nothing.
- City College Horticulture Department, 415-239-3236 (Leave message in the general voice message box.)
You can hire a horticulture student for small garden jobs.
- Dirty Hoe Landscaping, 415-282-1058
Fully licensed landscape contractors, pesticide applicators and certified arborist specializing in sustainable small scale garden design, installation and maintenance.
- Ellyn Shea, Garden Guidance, 415-846-0190
“Good Advice and a Helping Hand.” Pruning help, planting choices, containers, edibles, natives, houseplants, organic pest control.
- Mandeville Garden Company, 415-626-6243
Bay friendly landscape design and build. Also, organic and poison free garden maintenance, with pleasant skilled crew.
- Organic Mechanics, 415-567-6367
“All landscapes are undertaken with sustainability in mind, and we find creative ways to use recycled materials.” Integrated pest management, organic methods, and utmost care in maintenance.
Tree Stump Removal and Grinding
When planting a new tree in the same spot, the stump of the previous tree must be ground to a full 2 feet below the surface.
- ArborMD, 415-250-2012
- East & West Bay Stump Removal, Kevin Morgenstern, 800-517-8867
- Mike’s Stump Removal, 650-368-4535
- List of concrete contractors, courtesy of San Francisco Public Works
- Barri Kaplan Bonapart, Bonapart & Associates, Sausalito, CA 415-332-3313
Ms. Bonapart is one of the Bay Area’s most knowledgeable practitioners in the area of tree and neighbor law. Specializing in both law and mediation, Ms. Bonapart works on complex commercial litigation, tree and neighbor law. Her clientele includes local businesses, tree care companies, professionals, and property owners.
- Dennis Yniguez, Tree Decisions, Berkeley, 510-649-9291
Dennis Yniguez is a Registered Consulting Arborist/Attorney and maintains an arboricultural consulting firm named Tree Decisions in Berkeley, California. In addition, Dennis has served on the faculty of the American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA) Academy for the past eleven years.