Friends of the Urban Forest makes it easy for San Franciscans to get new trees near their homes or businesses.
Want a new tree? Click here to request one!
We plant trees with an eye towards environmental justice and climate change mitigation. On average, 13.7% of San Francisco is covered by tree canopy but in some neighborhoods coverage is as high as 29.3% or as low as 4.1%. We plant in unjustly underforested neighborhoods in an effort to close this gap, because everyone deserves the environmental, economic, and health benefits associated with trees.
The green zones on this map show where we are funded to plant trees, at no cost to the residents, from now through 2022. If you want a tree adjacent to your home or business in one of those zones, click here to request one!
If you’re located outside those zones, don’t worry! Our goal is to secure funding to enable us to resume planting trees throughout San Francisco in the future. Please click here to request a tree, but keep in mind that we will not be able to plant it before 2022 (and it might take longer).
If you want a street tree sooner, you have options! We have put together a step-by-step guide to plant a tree on your own. Though you can plant without assistance from an arborist, we also have a referral list of arborists who can make the job easier for you. And consider other ways to green your neighborhood, such as by getting a sidewalk garden.
What does our tree planting program include?
- Your tree is planted at no cost to you (including concrete removal)
- You can choose your tree from a list of city-approved options
- Your site is inspected by our staff and by PG&E to confirm that a tree can be safely and legally planted there
- You can be part of the process: help plant your tree and work with your neighbors to determine the future look and feel of your neighborhood (Note: volunteer participation in our planting events is temporarily suspended due to the pandemic but if you would like to help us reach out to your neighbors and get more trees on your street, please contact Jesus at email@example.com)
- StreetTreeSF is responsible for pruning mature street trees and repairing tree-related sidewalk damage
Upcoming Community Plantings
|Neighborhood||Planting Dates||More info|
|Oceanview, Merced Heights, Ingleside||November 2020 – February 2021||fuf.net/omi|
|Central Sunset||November 2020 – March 2021||fuf.net/centralsunset|
|Inner Richmond||December 2020 – February 2021||fuf.net/innerrichmond|
|Outer Richmond||February 2021 – March 2021||Coming soon!|
|Visitacion Valley/Portola||March 2021||Coming soon!|
|Bayview||March 2021||Coming soon!|
|Mission||April 2021||Coming soon!|
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 415-268-0772