Classification and Time: Part-time, temporary and non-exempt
Hourly Rate: $18
Benefits: This position offers paid sick leave and certain paid holidays
Hours: 24 hours per week. 4 shifts Tuesday – Saturday, 9:30am – 4pm
Reports To: Green Crew Manager
Date Posted: June, 2021
About Friends of the Urban Forest (FUF)
FUF is a non-profit organization that helps individuals and neighborhood groups to plant and care for street trees and sidewalk gardens in San Francisco. By making San Francisco greener, FUF supports the health and livability of the urban environment. Since 1981, FUF has planted more than 60,000 trees, totaling almost half of the city’s street tree canopy.
The FUF Green Crew Trainee is a job training program and workforce development program that hires participants with minimal work history and trains them in arboriculture and urban forestry. Participants work in all FUF field programs, including tree planting, tree care, and sidewalk landscaping. This is a temporary part-time position that includes some evenings and weekends. This temporary position is heavily field-based, including two to three days of tree planting per week, heavy lifting (40 lbs.), and driving a FUF vehicle (valid California license and approved MVR required). The Green Crew Trainee works closely with FUF Field Staff and reports to the Green Crew Manager.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Details and Responsibilities
Provides general support and assistance for all FUF programs and staff, including:
- Loads and unloads trees and plants under the supervision of Planting Managers at headquarters and in the field.
- Plants trees and installs protective hardware surrounding newly established trees.
- Mulches and waters trees during planting with our Replacement and Community Planting programs.
- Prepares soil for planting and plants greenery as a part of the Sidewalk Landscape Projects.
- Conducts 2-month surveys for sidewalk gardens and trees planted including performing necessary tree care at that time (may include re-tying, re-staking and sometimes replanting).
- Cuts cross-braces for Planting programs using a table saw.
- Structurally prunes trees as part of FUF Tree Care program in accordance with ISA guidelines for training young trees.
- Collects accurate and detailed data on trees pruned during Scheduled and Emergency Tree Care.
- Participates in regular seminars and field workshops organized through FUF to learn more about tree care and planting.
- Waters and maintains trees, materials and plants in inventory tree yard and repairs irrigation as needed.
- Maintains materials and plants in inventory and reports issues with irrigation.
- Maintains tools in clean working order.
- Maintains FUF vehicles and shed in clean and organized working order.
- Participates in office culture of Environmental Stewardship through cultural activities including but not limited to: limiting waste, properly disposing of waste in sorted bins, and picking up trash in the field and at FUF headquarters.
- Drives FUF trucks respectfully and safely to job sites throughout San Francisco.
- Works with other staff on special projects and day-to-day operations.
- Immediately reports all field incidents to Green Crew Manager and daily program supervisor.
- Follows all FUF COVID-19 safety and personal protective equipment procedures.
- Interest in arboriculture, horticulture or landscaping.
- Willingness to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Must have a valid California license for at least two years, and approved MVR.
- Ability to get to office headquarters in the Presidio and meet at field locations in San Francisco.
- Provide a Department of Justice record check and fingerprinting per California Penal Code section 11105.3 to be able to work with minors in the Green Teens program.
- People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather and working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Office workspace and cubicle assignments change from time to time, and employees should not expect that any assignment is permanent.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and crawling. The employee must frequently lift and move items over 40 pounds, and load tools and planting materials into and out of vehicles.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
If interested and qualified, please apply using this online form.
Also, consider other ways of getting involved with Friends of the Urban Forest!