Membership and Individual Gifts Manager
Classification and Time: Full-time; Non-exempt
Annual Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Employer-paid health, dental and vision (per FUF Employee Handbook), 403(b) retirement plan, ten paid holidays, in addition to paid vacation and sick days
Reports to: Vice President of Development
Date: April 15, 2019
Since 1981, Friends of the Urban Forest (FUF), a premier San Francisco environmental nonprofit, has brought together communities throughout the city to plant more than 60,000 trees— close to half of San Francisco’s street tree canopy. FUF has a long history of integrating urban greening with civic engagement as a way to increase community health and resilience and combat the effects of climate change. FUF recognizes San Francisco’s many communities and cultures and the diverse ways in which they connect with our urban forest. We connect San Franciscans to nature and to each other.
This position at Friends of the Urban Forest would give you the exciting opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic professional organization that has been creating a greener San Francisco for the last 38 years.
Friends of the Urban Forest is searching for an entrepreneurial, creative and results-driven development professional to join our team to grow our established membership program, to create, launch and manage a new program for mid-level donors and to partner with the Vice President, Development to build a new Legacy Society.
Under the general supervision of the Vice President, Development, the Membership and Individual Gifts Manager will play a key role on the development team by being responsible for reaching annual fundraising goals, identifying growth opportunities, and developing and launching new strategies to engage members, donors and prospects. We are looking for an enthusiastic leader capable of managing and working with volunteers, members, donors and our professional team to reach a common goal.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing a membership, annual giving or direct marketing program in a non-profit setting, as well as designing and implementing member and donor events and programs. Key metrics for success include the ability to set and achieve an increase in annual membership revenue, grow the mid-level donor file and produce warm upgrade leads for the Legacy Society and the Major Gifts Program.
- Growing and managing FUF’s Membership Program:
- Setting ambitious yet attainable goals for raising funds, acquiring, retaining and upgrading members
- Drafting appeals concepts in partnership with the Marketing and Communications Director and the Vice President, Development
- Creating and managing a direct mail and digital and social media outreach calendar
- Collaborating with the Foundation and Corporate Relations Manager to develop corporate memberships
- Managing mail house, printers and other vendors
- Developing, launching and managing a mid-level donor program for donors giving between $500-$5,000 per year.
- Mining the donor base for data and advising on list segmentation and upgrades, plus Legacy Society targets, and tracking those segments.
- Working with the Database Manager to maintain accurate donor records and to advise on new database protocols when needed.
- Developing and implementing events, programs and other opportunities to engage and cultivate current and prospective members and donors.
- Keeping apprised of latest industry and philanthropic trends.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience (Masters Degree a plus)
- Minimum three years experience working with non-profit membership programs, annual campaigns, direct mail or direct marketing programs
- Experience in marketing and/or communications a plus
- Proficient in donor research and data-driven decision making
- Experience developing and managing events and/or programs that cultivate and engage prospects and donors
- Proficiency in using a donor database. Knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Strong commitment to teamwork and maintaining collaborative relationships
- Enthusiasm and commitment to the mission of Friends of the Urban Forest.
FUF is committed to equal opportunity employment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
If interested and qualified, please forward cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, consider other ways of getting involved with Friends of the Urban Forest!