We need your help writing letters to SF residents encouraging them to sign up for a FUF tree. We’ll plant and water their tree for free! Please drop us a line at email@example.com to let us know you’ll be writing letters and to find out where we are able to plant.
Here’s what you need (or what we will send you if you request a letter kit):
- Pens, markers, colored pencils (or other art and writing supplies that you love to use)
- Postage stamps
- Sponge, paper towel, or tape for sealing envelopes
- Cardstock paper (optional)
Here’s how it works:
- REQUEST A LETTER KIT I have paper, pens, stamps, envelopes and stickers ready to go if you want them. Send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address, and I will send you a kit with enough materials for 5 letters! Supplies are limited, so please be mindful of what your capacity is to write letters when you make the request.
- FIND ADDRESSES (2 options – choose your own adventure here)
- Look on Google maps street view for homes that don’t have trees in front of them
- Send me an email at email@example.com with how many letters you plan to write and I will send you some addresses
- WRITE YOUR LETTERS Using the writing prompt below, write your letters. The goal is tree requests.
- MAKE A RETURN LETTER (optional – instructions below) Using cardstock, you can make a trifold return letter that makes it easy for people to request a tree – instructions below. For best results, pre-stamp it! (Remember, I can send you a kit if you don’t want to buy stamps)
- DECORATE Envelopes, letters, return mailers – make it look like mail that YOU would be excited to open.
- CLOSE IT UP AND MAIL IT Make sure to use a sponge/paper towel or tape to close your envelope, because we’re in the middle of a pandemic. Then, make sure the address is good to go, add a stamp, and get it in a mailbox!
- LET ME KNOW WHAT ADDRESSES YOU SEND LETTERS TO The only way that we will be able to know if this works is if we know what addresses letters were sent to so we can compare them to the tree requests coming in. So, please make sure to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with all the addresses you put a letter in the mail for.
Here’s the letter-writing prompt to guide you:
- ADDRESS YOUR NEIGHBOR
- INTRODUCE YOURSELF let them know your name (first name is fine) and that you are their neighbor on Number range block of Street/fellow San Francisco resident/person who cares about San Francisco’s urban forest
- MAKE YOUR ASK name a benefit of trees you like, sell them getting a tree with that benefit
- You can find a list of benefits of trees here
- INTRODUCE FUF in one or two sentences and let them know that we plant street trees for free
- Make it easy! INCLUDE THE LINK WHERE THEY CAN SIGN UP (fuf.net/freetrees), or INCLUDE A STAMPED RETURN LETTER that they can send to FUF. All we need is their Name, Contact Info (phone number or email), and Address
- Finish your letter and SIGN IT
Here’s the return mailer template and instructions:
You can make two with a single piece of paper, we like using cardstock for these!
Step 1. Cut the sheet in half
Step 2. Fold as the diagram shows below. You will want the short fold to be folded over the long fold.
Step 3. Write out the text on the inside of the card, and the address and return mail lines on the outside of the card, as diagrammed below. Don’t forget to include the stamp if you can!
Step 4. On the back of the folded card, write “Tape here!” at the seams so when people return it, they can seal it. But don’t actually tape it, so the person you’re sending it to can open it!