Simply print out and complete the Friends of the Urban Forest Letter of Agreement (PDF file, 78 KB) and Department of Public Works Tree Planting Application (PDF file, 256 KB) and mail them, along with a check for $105 per tree (or $150 for a fast-growing species*), plus $30 FUF membership fee, to:
Friends of the Urban Forest
ATTN: REPLACEMENT PLANTING
1007 General Kennedy Ave Ste 1
San Francisco CA 94129
If you don’t have a printer, we’ll gladly mail or fax the forms to you; just contact Caitlin by phone at 415-268-0772 or by email with our contact form.
Our replacement service includes:
- Species recommendations by our arborists
- The TREE itself
- A volunteer planting crew (optionally including you)
- New tree owner’s manual
- 18 months of tree care services
If you need to first remove an old tree from your basin:
- Obtain a city permit to remove the tree (required before any tree – alive, dead or hazardous – can be removed). Visit DPW’s site for more information.
- Please be sure the old tree and all its roots have been removed (a minimum of 18” below sidewalk level in most cases) before we come to plant your new tree. Please use a shovel to prod into the hole to make sure there is no wood down there. If roots are still there, we will be unable to plant your tree. Please see our list of recommended tree stump removers and grinders. They typically do their work during street cleaning hours.
For more information about replacement plantings, please contact Caitlin by phone at 415-268-0772 or by email with our contact form.
Our Urban Tree Species Directory contains images and descriptions of the tree species we offer.
*The following fast-growing tree species require more frequent care when young in order to prevent overgrowth or structural problems:
- all Acacia species
- Australian Tea Tree (Leptospermum laevigatum)
- Brisbane Box (Lophostemon confertus/Tristania conferta)
- Chinese Elm (Ulmus parvifolia)
- all Eucalyptus species
- Locust tree (Robinia spp.)
- Peppermint willow (Agonis flexuosa)