We’re currently seeking candidates for the position of Volunteer & Administrative Coordinator.
The Volunteer & Administrative Coordinator is responsible for recruiting, managing and supporting FUF volunteers, fielding inbound communication and managing office administrative tasks. The Volunteer & Administrative Coordinator recruits individuals and groups to be our volunteers during Community Plantings, Tree Care activities and Sidewalk Garden installations, manages logistics and scheduling for our program of over 800 annual volunteers, and keeps our volunteers feeling connected and engaged.
The position serves as the first point of contact for property owners and potential tree planters from across the city. The position requires a background in volunteer management and customer service and involves a combination of office and field work including digital communications, database management, public speaking, some heavy lifting (40 lbs.) and driving company vehicles. The Volunteer & Administrative Coordinator works closely with staff, community members, community groups and FUF volunteers — hence, people skills are essential. Strong organizational skills are also required. Reports to the Program Director with day-to-day supervision by the Community Project Manager.
Details and Responsibilities
I. Volunteer Coordination ~20% of time
- Manage the FUF volunteer program including tracking, recruiting and ongoing appreciation
- Maintain existing FUF volunteers and identify & recruit new volunteers for FUF events
- Recruit corporate volunteer groups
- Coordinate volunteer needs with Field Staff
- Plan and coordinate volunteer appreciation events
- Updating external online venues for volunteer participation and seek new ways to generate volunteers
II. Day of Planting Volunteer Coordination ~5% of time
- Coordinate volunteer sign-in at FUF events including organizational support & volunteer materials
- Greet and welcome volunteers and assign volunteer groups for the event
- Set up and break down volunteer sign in area
III. Outreach – Potential Planters ~ 30% of time
- Answer the mainline phone and general inbox inquiries and process as necessary, clearly articulate planting/volunteer process
- Convert interested individuals into program participants or donors
- Database new leads and keep our neighborhood tree planter lists organized
- Use checklist approach to make sure potential tree planter readiness, including a signed Letter of Agreement and DPW Tree Planting Permit Applications
- Create and adhere to a schedule of individual and community reminders via email/phone and large eblasts around project deadlines
IV. Outreach – Tree Planting ~ 15% of time
- Works closely with the Community Project Manager to ensure that all tree plantings have engaged neighborhood organizer(s) and volunteers
- Clearly communicate sliding scale price to all potential planters and assist with growing annual planting income through increased high-end co-pays
- Sending invoices to all tree planters before planting
- Follow up with past planters to collect any outstanding balance email, mail, and phone including processing credit cards over the phone
- Assisting planting managers in following up to ensure planter readiness and ensuring appropriate permits have been received
V. Sidewalk Landscape Outreach Coordination – 15% of time
- Coordinate canvassing events with volunteers to recruit neighborhood participation
- Respond to and database general inquiries about our sidewalk landscaping program
- Work closely with the Sidewalk Landscape Program Director to identify neighborhood interest and develop interest based on grant locations
VI. Office Management ~ 15% of time
- Welcome visitors to the office, answering the mainline phone and responding to general questions and interest
- Keep up-to-date with all general office correspondence
- Keep stock of office & kitchen supplies, merchandise and program gear, and ordering supplies when needed
- Keep track of our vehicle fleet management, including insurance, and assists field staff with maintenance and repairs
- Maintain office organization, including physical office space, database and digital file tidiness and assists with preparing office space for meetings as needed
- Works with other staff on special projects and day to day operations
- Communicates regularly with staff about material needs and efficiency and work-flow within office setting, and takes on office management tasks as they arise
- Assist staff with special events as needed
- Keep FUF website information updated, accurate, and user-friendly
Hours & Compensation
This is a full-time position.
Salary: $38,000 – $41,000 annual
Benefits: Full health and dental coverage per Employee Handbook dated Feb. 2010
Please send your brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
Also, consider other ways of getting involved with Friends of the Urban Forest!