Community & Replacement Tree Planting Manager
The Community & Replacement Tree Planting Manager is responsible for the implementation of FUF’s Neighborhood Tree Planting Program (50% of time) and FUF’s Replacement Tree Planting Program (50% of time). The Planting Manager manages all aspects of the plantings including approximately 6 Saturday community planting projects per year and weekday replacement plantings approximately 2-4 times per month. The position requires a background in arboriculture or horticulture and involves a combination of office and field work including computer work, public speaking, some heavy lifting (40 lbs.) and driving company vehicles (a valid California license and clean driving record are required). The Planting Manager works closely with staff, community members, community groups, vendors and FUF volunteers. This position requires extensive work with people — patience and people skills are essential. Strong organizational skills are also required. Reports to the Assistant Program Director.
Details and Responsibilities
- Surveys neighborhood to determine site suitability, plant species, soil and basin readiness to become familiar with utility issues and specific neighborhood context.
- Conducts community meetings for planting groups to explain planting process and property owner responsibilities.
- Ensures that replacement tree plantings are integrated into scheduled neighborhood tree plantings and/or coordinates weekly replacement tree plantings.
- Maintains replacement tree lists and forms.
- Communicates with property owner and/or tree caretaker about the tree planting process and schedule.
- Notifies Underground Service Alert for all new trees and replacement trees as needed.
- Approves tree locations and marks sidewalks for concrete removal, as needed, observing USA markings and all city guidelines.
- Collects and tracks all income and ensures that all project expenses are approved for payment upon receipt and forwarded to the bookkeeper.
- Collects all necessary completed forms and ensures that all required permits and required paperwork is completed prior to proceeding with any property alteration.
- Acts as a liaison to DPW and forwards DPW Tree Planting Permit Applications.
- Updates and maintains the FUF database for each property and tree planted.
- Coordinates tree species selection, contractors and material orders.
- Ensures adequate volunteer coverage on workdays, including organizing and notifying FUF volunteers and/or the Volunteer Coordinator.
- Coordinates and supervises workdays, including preparing maps, ensuring a safe work environment and educating and supervising volunteers.
- Completes Project Reports in a timely fashion providing complete and accurate information on accounting and the project narrative enabling others to invoice and report to project funders.
- Conduct 2-month surveys on all trees planted, and perform necessary tree care, including re-tying, re-staking and sometimes replanting.
- Assists in the planning of, attends and participates in FUF special events.
- Attends neighborhood meetings and special events to promote the value of trees and FUF’s mission.
- Orders planting and other miscellaneous materials necessary to complete planting projects.
- Maintains materials and trees in inventory and provides accurate records.
- Maintains tools in clean working order.
- Maintains FUF truck and vehicles in clean working order.
- Maintains shed in clean working order.
Office Related Duties
- Using design software creates maps, graphics, spreadsheets and other documents as needed.
- Keeps up-to-date with all correspondence.
- Updates database with replacement tree data.
- Updates database with phone advice provided to clients for future tracking.
- Works with other staff on special projects and day to day operations.
- Photo taking, downloading, labeling and electronic filing.
- Supervises and trains FUF interns and volunteers as needed and insures volunteer hours & data are current with the help of the Database Manager and the Volunteer Coordinator.
40 hours per week including some evening and Saturday events.
Full-time, permanent position with benefits.
If interested and qualified, please forward cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Email ONLY.