Friends of the Urban Forest seeks a senior fundraising professional with a track record of success. Of FUF’s $1.9 million in annual revenue, the Development Director will be responsible for raising $1.6 million by managing relationships with major individual donors and institutional funders including private foundations, corporations, and city, state, and federal agencies.
We are a community tree-planting organization in San Francisco that has planted over 48,000 trees during more than 1,000 neighborhood tree-planting days since 1981. Our mission is to promote a larger, healthier urban forest as part of San Francisco’s green infrastructure through community planting, tree care, education, and advocacy.
About our funding
Government funding, corporate and foundation funding, and individual donations all significantly contribute to FUF’s $1.9 million annual budget. The Development Director must have a proven background in all three elements. A background in grant reporting on city, state, and federal grants will be given priority.
Summary of essential job functions:
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, create an annual development plan with fundraising targets in all revenue streams
- Seek out and apply for all applicable grant opportunities
- Report on and complete invoicing for secured grants
- Create schedule for and write all annual giving appeals, online and hard-copy
- Proactively search for relevant corporate and foundation opportunities
An ideal candidate would possess:
- A minimum of seven years of development experience
- Knowledge of the funding landscape for environmental causes in San Francisco and California
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Technological competencies in databases (preferably SalesForce), Word and Excel
- Creativity and a relentless energy towards finding and securing new funding streams.
This is a full-time position. Compensation is based on experience with full benefits. To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to Executive Director Dan Flanagan, at email@example.com.